Monday, November 3, 2014

8 x 8 Mixed Media Canvas with Hometown Craft Papers by Ken Oliver

Hello everyone!  I hope you all had a Happy Halloween and a wonderful weekend.  Our youngest son (12 yrs old) was really on the fence about going trick-or-treating this year.  He decided he wasn't going to go and then at the last minute (which I figured would happen) he changed his mind LOL.  So he threw a costume together really quick with some part from other costumes we have used in the past.  


Here is a picture collage I shared on FB over the weekend.  I think through the years this chopped off arm has been a favorite with my husband and the boys--they have all used it at one point in time.  My husband made this a few years ago after going to a Halloween party and seeing one the a friend had made.  It is fun but kinda creepy and freaks people out when you move your fingers but it's all in good fun LOL!

This weekend I also had a little bit of fun creative time just for me--I have to remind myself to just play and have fun sometimes just for the sake of doing it.  Love getting my fingers all inky!


If you follow me on Facebook then you saw the little sneak peek of this canvas that I shared yesterday.  This is a 8 x 8 canvas and I had SO much fun creating it!!  


Here is a quick look at the original sheet of paper.


To start I sprayed the sides and edges of the canvas with  Distress Spray Stain-Vintage Photo, Peacock Feathers, and Picket Fence until I achieved a look I liked.  Then I added the main image from the paper.  I cut the lower left portion of the paper to a 7.5 x 7.5 square.  I inked the edges with Tim Holtz Distress Ink Walnut Stain and then I used Plaid® Mod Podge® Matte to adhere that paper to the canvas and I added a layer of Plaid® Mod Podge® Matte on top of the paper.  


Then I used a stencil with some Liquitex® Light Modeling Paste to add some interest and texture to the canvas.  After the modeling paste was dry I went over it with Mod Podge.  Next I went over the textures areas with Folk Art Vintage White Acrylic Paint just rubbing it on with my fingers.  


Next I added some color to the script texture and the bike using  Faber-Castell PITT Big Brush Pens-Light Cobalt Blue Turquoise.  For the bike I colored directly on the image (in small sections) and rubbed with my fingers to blend the ink before it dried.  On the script texture I added some of the color to my finger and then gently rubber over the top of the text.  I wanted to add a little shimmer too so I used some of the Brushed Pewter Distress Spray Stain and rubbed that on top of the text too.


Here you can see a close up of some of the shimmer.


I fussy cut the image of the clock and added a little color using Tim Holtz Distress Inks-Peacock FeathersWalnut Stain.  Then I laid the clock on top of the canvas and traced around it with a sharpie marker.  I went around the outline for the clock using Faber-Castell PITT Big Brush Pen in Black and blended the color with my fingers before the ink was dry.


I added some dimension to the clock by adding 3D Foam Squares and then since this is a home decor piece I added some hot glue to the foam just to make sure it wouldn't pop off of the canvas.


I love working with the Hometown Craft Papers by Ken Oliver.  They are great for mixed media because inks blend really well and they hold up to the sprays, mod podge and texture paste!

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi


Paper:  Hometown Craft Papers by Ken Oliver
Inks/Sprays/Markers:  Tim Holtz Distress Inks-Peacock Feathers, Walnut Stain, Distress Spray Stain-Vintage Photo, Peacock Feathers, Picket Fence, Brushed Pewter; Faber-Castell PITT Big Brush Pens-Light Cobalt Blue Turquoise, Black
Accessories:  Folk Art Vintage White Acrylic Paint, Plaid® Mod Podge® Matte, Krylon® Clear Satin Spray, Liquitex® Light Modeling Paste, Friendship Stencil, 8 x 8 Canvas, Heat Tool, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L™ 3D Foam Squares, Hot Glue

4 comments:

  1. Love your canvas, Heidi! The details are just fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a stunning canvas Heidi! Gorgeous details and colors. Love your sons custom too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi, what a great canvas. Love all the distressing and inking. Of course, you had a great print to start with and you certainly added some more beauty to it.
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous. Such a wonderful use of Ken's paper. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...