Thursday, July 23, 2015

DIY Shabby Chic Vintage Lace Tote - A Special Happy Birthday Shout Out To My Grandpa!

Hello blogging friends!  Today, I have another DIY project to share with you.   But before I get to that I have to give a very special Happy Birthday shout out to my Grandpa.


Today, is my Grandpa's 85th Birthday!!  He is still going strong and very active.  He still goes out to the farm to help my uncle John and he walks everyday--sometimes 5 miles a day!!  He is the ROCK in our family and the sweetest, kindest, and most loving man I know.  He has taught me so many things in life and has a great love for his family and God.  I love you Grandpa!!!


A few months back I picked up this canvas bag to alter.  I knew what I wanted to do with it but just didn't get around to it LOL.  Then last week I watched a couple of videos on YT from some sweet ladies that I follow.  They had done an altered bag swap and it was just the inspiration I needed to start working on my canvas bag.  You can click HERE to see Muriel's video of the bag she received from Luisa and click HERE to see Luisa's video and the bag she received from Muriel.  Both of the bags they altered were so beautiful!  My bag is a little different style than the ones they altered since it has a ruffle on one side. 


Here is the bag after I altered it.  I have to say I LOVE how it turned out!!  It is full of shabby goodness from the vintage crochet lace trim to the venice lace and the rosette trim.  I also added a hand made flower to the top center of the bag.



I love all of the layers and ruffles!  I think the vintage crochet lace trim was from the edging of a small table cloth.  It was also ruffly so it worked perfectly for this bag.


Here is a look at the top of the bag where I used a combination of the vintage crochet lace trim, venice trim, gold ruffle tulle trim, and rosette trim.




Here is a close up of the handmade flower I created.  I used a doily for the bottom layer, three different kinds of lace material, and eyelash trim.  I finished it off by adding a piece of bling to the center of the flower.


The flower is so soft and fluffy.


Here is a close up of the handle and the top of the bag with the rosette trim.


Here is a look at the back of the bag.


I also added some seam binding to hang down from the flower in the front of the bag.  

I am so happy with how this came together!!  Now trying to decide if I keep it or sell it LOL!  Either way one thing is for sure it is a one of a kind.  I know I want to make more and I will be on the look out for more vintage laces and trims.

I hope you are enjoying the DIY projects I have been sharing.  :)

Here are links to a couple of other handbags I have altered.

Thanks so much for stopping by today!

Hugs & Smiles,
Heidi

3 comments:

Thank you so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment!! I really appreciate it!!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...